2014-01-04

RESISTANCE

As I wrote about "persistance" yesterday I thought it would be amusing to write about "resistance" today. Obviously a hoarders problem is that more stuff comes into the house than leaves the house on average. Many hoarders seem to be compulsive shoppers. Or deal shoppers. I can't resist free stuff. Which is even worse than shopping in my opinion because a lot of times free stuff is not in the best condition to begin with. Today I came across a small cardboard box. Somebody wrote "take for free"on the box. In it a few games. Obviously they had been around for a while but they were in great condition. "Oh, the kids might like those," I thought. I openend all the boxes checked the contents. Decided that one of those games one could easily play even without the game. You had to pick a category and turn the wheel for a certain letter. I was very proud of myself for deciding to leave that one behind. Suddenly, before my inner eye a picture started to form. Hangers in a plastic bag. On top of more hangers in a big box full of kids close. Even not counting Christmas presents, it's been a while since that much stuff had made it into my house in so little time. That was the moment when I put the games back into the box and walked away. I resisted the tempation of taking more stuff in. Way to go. Do give me a nice pat on the back!

2 Kommentare:

  1. That is wonderful that you were able to leave the game behind! :) That must have taken mental strength - the compulsion is so strong, to think of all you might do with each thing we have… So to know you could play the game without the game itself is very awesome. And I totally agree with your insight: more stuff comes in the house than leaves is the central issue for us hoarders. Keep up the awesome work! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Matter of fact I left behind at least 5 games. And I was very happy with myself. Thank you for writing this very first comment, that sure is a nice pat onmy shoulder! ;)

    AntwortenLöschen